Here’s the latest student news from the athletic training profession:
News From NATA
NATA and the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) have announced a commitment to greater collaboration in a joint statement. We, as athletic trainers, should look forward to a future where our professions honor one another and help to promote the best care for all of our patients. Congratulations to NATA ad APTA leaderships, including NATA President Tory Lindley, MA, ATC, and APTA President Sharon Dunn, PT, PhD, and to the organizations’ memberships!
iLEAD is happening this January in Irving, Texas. The registration deadline has been extended to Dec. 28. The NATA Student Leadership Committee will be in attendance and we’d love to speak with other students. If you will be there, reach out and let us know (email@example.com). We are excited to look at the coming semester and what we can as a group continue to grow and lead upon for all of you!
Housing is now open for the 70th NATA Clinical Symposia & AT Expo, June 24-27, 2019, in Las Vegas. You can set up your housing on the convention website. Registration will open in spring of 2019, but you can prepay for registration when you renew your NATA membership for 2019, the deadline for which is Dec. 31.
News From the Student Leadership Committee
Have you been enjoying our NATA Now blog series? The SLC will continue the blog series throughout 2019. Upcoming topics include:
- The new CAATE Education Standards
- Performing arts
- LGBTQ+ professionals in athletic training
Our “When Boundaries Blur” webinar presented by Michael Goldenberg, MS, ATC, was a huge success! Thanks to all who attended. If you were unable to attend the live webinar, you can view a recording of it on the Student resource page. Let us know your thoughts!
Students, be sure to renew your NATA student membership before the Dec. 31 deadline! There are payment plan options available, and tons of wonderful resources offered along with your membership!
Feel free, as students, to post on Gather. This is a great way to get multiple perspectives for questions you may have. Keep an eye out for the SLC posting questions for students as well – we’d love your feedback!
The athletic training community is constantly creating new and exciting research. Check out these three articles from the Journal of Athletic Training:
- “New Position Statement: Management of Individuals With Patellofemoral Pain” by Lori A. Bolgla, Michelle C. Boling, Kimberly L. Mace, Michael J. DiStefano, Donald C. Fithian, and Christopher M. Powers (2018) National Athletic Trainers' Association Position Statement: Management of Individuals With Patellofemoral Pain. Journal of Athletic Training: September 2018, Vol. 53, No. 9, pp. 820-836.
- “Return to Learn After Sport-Related Concussion: A Survey of Secondary School and Collegiate Athletic Trainers” by Chelsea L. Williamson, Grant E. Norte, Donna K. Broshek, Joseph M. Hart, and Jacob E. Resch (2018) Return to Learn After Sport-Related Concussion: A Survey of Secondary School and Collegiate Athletic Trainers. Journal of Athletic Training: October 2018, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp. 990-1003.
- “Epidemiology of Injuries Requiring Emergency Transport Among Collegiate and High School Student Athletes” by Rebecca M. Hirschhorn, Zachary Y. Kerr, Erin B. Wasserman, Melissa C. Kay, Daniel R. Clifton, Thomas P. Dompier, and Susan W. Yeargin (2018) Epidemiology of Injuries Requiring Emergency Transport Among Collegiate and High School Student-Athletes. Journal of Athletic Training: September 2018, Vol. 53, No. 9, pp. 906-914.
Featured AT Club
Westfield State University is our featured Program of the Month. At Westfield State, they pride themselves in working with the EMT program to apply their clinical knowledge in AT/EMT simulations each semester. They have clinical sites all over western Massachusetts and are always involved with helping out in their community. They’re also excited to have their biggest group yet to go to EATA’s this year. Congratulations, Westfield State! The NATA SLC is excited for you and we hope we get to even meet some of you at NATA this coming year in Las Vegas.
Interact with us!
For our future For Students; By Students posts, we will be featuring an athletic training program club. Email the SLC or reach out to us on social media about your club to nominate yourselves to be featured here and on our social medias.
Quote of the Month
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – Former President Barack Obama