The ATs Care program is designed to offer crisis management training opportunities for athletic trainers dealing with the aftermath of a critical incident. The mission of the ATs Care Commission is to aid ATs and AT students who have been through a critical incident by utilizing a peer-to-peer system to assist, monitor and encourage these individuals to seek initial support through state or regional ATs Care teams.
A study conducted by NATA found that 82% of members surveyed felt they were not prepared to deal with psychological impact of catastrophic events. In 2014, the NATA Board of Directors approved the development of a peer-to-peer support program to assist members in the aftermath of a critical incident or catastrophic event. The program, ATs Care, offers training opportunities to athletic trainers from a leading organization in crisis management training. The training enables members to enhance their knowledge of crisis intervention in order to equip them to support their peers in the aftermath of a critical incident.
ATs Care is Here to Support ATs During Crisis
A critical incident impacts each of us in different ways. If you or a colleague are in need of assistance navigating a challenging situation, whether it be personal or professionally related, we ask that you seek assistance and consider contacting ATs Care.
- Email ATs Care
- Online Contact Form
- The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 800.273.8255
- Text "HOME" to 741741 anytime in the U.S. and connect to a crisis counselor
If you or someone you know responds to an emergency or experiences a traumatic event, please contact ATs Care. ATs Care provides CISM services to ATs and AT students regardless of membership status. Critical incidents can cause stress that can lead to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). While it is normal to have an emotional reaction, most of us will need assistance processing these new emotions. Our teams have been trained to help you deal with these challenging situations.
- If you have questions or would like more information about becoming a peer support provider, contact Katie Scott.
- View the members of the ATs Care Commission.
- To reach the ATs Care Commission, click the contact button below and complete the form. Someone will be in touch within 48 hours.
ATs Helping ATs
How can ATs Care help you in a crisis?
- Pre-Incident Education: What is Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM)?
Provide athletic trainers and collegiate athletic training students with educational materials about critical incidents, post-traumatic stress and the effects of each in the workplace and in one’s personal life. Interested in hosting a Student Lecture about ATs Care? Contact ATs Care today!
Offer training to ATs and athletic training students at national, district and potentially state meetings and create a network of athletic trainers trained in psychological first-aid. Interested in hosting a CISM Training event? Contact ATs Care today!
- Post-event Assessment
Provide psychological and emotional support to athletic trainers through phone calls, on-scene assessment support, demobilization intervention, post-incident defusing or one-on-one interaction, group debriefings and follow-up.
The goal of ATs Care is to develop regional and state CISM teams located throughout the country that are readily available to respond to the needs of AT colleagues, students and staff after a critical incident. These team members are certified AT colleagues specifically trained in critical incident stress management techniques who understand not only the issues you face during a critical incident, but also the reality that ATs continue to provide care and coverage to a team following the event. ATs will be able to provide you and your staff the support you need to navigate through a critical incident.
Upcoming ATs Care/ICISF Training Workshops
- January 5th, 2024: Mashantucket, CT (EATA Annual Meeting) - Assisting Individuals in Crisis
- January 6th, 2024: Mashantucket, CT (EATA Annual Meeting) - Group Crisis Intervention
- Interested in hosting a Student Lecture about ATs Care? Contact ATs Care today!
- Interested in hosting a CISM Training event? Contact ATs Care today!
- Video Library: ATs Care members share their personal experiences with a critical incident
- National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation Emergency Hotline: 410-313-2473
- Critical Incident Stress Management Handout (pdf)
- Post-Event Self Care Guidelines (pdf)
- Mental Health Card (pdf)
- “What to Know About AT Burnout” (August 8, 2022 NATA Now Blog)
From the Desk of Dr. Everly
Dr. Everly is the Clinical Director for the ATs Care Program. Below are recently published articles written with the theme of supporting ATs and recognizing the importance of relationships as a means of fostering resilience.
- How to Immunize Your Relationships (Sept 2022)
- How to Become "Lucky" in Your Career and Life (Sept 2022)