Have Your School Nationally Recognized
Due to high traffic of the application system, the current turnaround time for the application and notification processes may take up to 4 months. Your patience is appreciated as we work to manage these circumstances. Please bear with us as we make every effort to improve our process. Please note that all application materials must be submitted online through the application material. An individual application is required for each school. Paper applications will no longer be accepted as of January 1, 2020 and may result in significant delay of response.
The Safe Sports School Award recognizes secondary schools around the country that take the crucial steps to keep their athletes free from injuries. Take this quick 9-question quiz to see if your school is an ideal applicant for the award.
In order to achieve Safe Sports School Status, Athletic Programs are required to adhere to the following:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate per-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Create and rehearse venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psycho-social consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
For a current list of awards in your state, please contact staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply / Renew
To avoid duplicate account errors, please double check to ensure the school address matches your school. If you do not see your school's address, select "Apply for my School". If this is your first time applying online, select "Apply for my School". Please check the expiration date of your award. Applications will not be processed greater than 60 days out from expiration. Schools with expirations more than 90 days expired will be processed as New Awards.
The Application for a Safe Sports School Award (SSSA) outlines the specific actions that will lead an Athletics Program to the Highest Safety Standards for its Athletes.
A school may earn a 1st or 2nd Team Award;
- 1st is Awarded to schools that act on all of the recommended and required elements.
- 2nd Team is Granted to schools that have completed only required elements.
Any Secondary School can apply. Applications, which require a fee, must be signed by the School’s Principal or Athletic Director and an Athletic trainer or Team physician. Schools qualifying for either Award will receive a Banner and Artwork to promote their Achievement.
Manage Safe Sports School Award (SSSA) Application for your School.
Refer to the Detailed Instructions for SSSA Application