Have Your School Nationally Recognized
The Safe Sports School Award recognizes secondary schools around the country that take the crucial steps to keep their athletes free from injuries. Take this quick 9-question quiz (pdf) to see if your school is an ideal applicant for the award.
In order to achieve Safe Sports School status, athletic programs must do the following:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Create and rehearse venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
The application for a Safe Sports School award outlines the specific actions that will lead an athletics program to the highest safety standards for its players. A school may earn a 1st or 2nd Team award; 1st is awarded to schools that act on all of the recommended and required elements. 2nd Team is granted to schools that have completed only required elements.
Any secondary school can apply. Applications, which require a fee, must be signed by the school’s principal or athletic director and an athletic trainer or team physician. Schools qualifying for either award will receive a banner and artwork to promote their achievement.
Completed Safe Sports School Award application form (pdf) and required payment can be sent in the following ways:
Direct Mail: National Athletic Trainers' Association 1620 Valwood Parkway Suite 115, Carrollton TX 75006