About At Your Own Risk
The mission of At Your Own Risk is to educate, provide resources and equip the public to act and advocate for safety in work, life and sport.
Project goals for this campaign include:
- Create ambassadors for the athletic training profession and for causes championed by athletic trainers.
- Reinforce the athletic trainer’s position as an authority in athlete safety.
- Clearly define how key stakeholders can get involved to impact change and improve safety for the physically active athlete and/or worker, given their area(s) of influence.
Athletic trainers work in many different settings and impact a wide variety of patients. Because of this, At Your Own Risk will be launched in phases in order to strategically communicate with each audience. What is important to a school administrator isn’t the same as what is important to a Fortune 500 company. A tiered approach allows for catered communication to each key stakeholder group in terms that matter to them.
The common denominator for each of the stakeholder groups we will target is risk - risk of injury, risk of lawsuit, risk of lost profit, the list goes on. Athletic trainers play a sustainable role in risk mitigation. Athletic trainers can help prevent injuries, reduce liability and improve productivity. Athletic trainers offer a safer approach. At Your Own Risk was created to educate key stakeholders on these issues and create ambassadors who will champion for change in their community.
We have developed a number of resources to help educate the public on these important issues. Some of the resources available online include:
- Interactive quizzes to test your knowledge
- Shareable images with facts, statistics and quotes about prevention and safety
- Interactive sports safety map that shows all 50 states' sports safety information including: recommended sports safety policy implementation, number of Safe Sports School Awards, AT licensure/regulation status and the percentage of high schools with a full time AT.
- Clear calls to action on how stakeholders can advocate for athletic trainers and improved safety in their schools and workplaces.
Advocate for Change in Your Community
NATA hopes that athletic trainers and state and district athletic trainers' associations will use At Your Own Risk as a tool to advocate for change in your communities. We have developed resources to help you adopt and adapt this public awareness campaign to fit your local needs.
We have created a toolkit to equip state and district athletic trainers’ associations with resources and knowledge to effectively promote At Your Own Risk and advocate for change in their communities through improving awareness of risk and the athletic trainers’ role in risk mitigation.
We have also created a presentation, important messaging and talking points to assist state and district associations in spreading the word with your members, local media and other important groups.
- At Your Own Risk - State and District Promotional Toolkit (pdf)
- At Your Own Risk - State and District Presentation (pptx)
- At Your Own Risk - Fact Sheet for Schools (pdf)
- At Your Own Risk - Fact Sheet for Employee Safety (pdf)
- Presentation for Athletic Trainers to Give to Special Interest Groups (pptx)
NATA is proud to offer state and district associations the opportunity to customize select At Your Own Risk collateral for your state or district promotional efforts. For a nominal fee, NATA can customize the infographics, advertisements and/or public service announcement videos with your state or district logo.
These resources can be used in meetings with key decision makers such as employers, school administrators or legislators to help educate and make the case for athletic trainers.
For more information on customizing At Your Own Risk collateral, contact Amanda Muscatell in the marketing department.