NATA Fellow status recognizes members of the association who have demonstrated outstanding professional scholarly achievement in combination with service to the profession. Only the most accomplished scholars in the athletic training profession earn this honor and distinction, and are allowed to use the prestigious designation of "FNATA".
At a minimum, Fellows candidates need to clearly demonstrate in their application materials having met the following requirements:
- NATA member in good standing.
- 10 years BOC certification.
- 10 years membership in NATA.
- Have held a terminal degree for ten or more years.
- Sustained involvement in the dissemination of research through free communications and / or general program presentations at NATA annual meetings during the 10 years preceding application.
- Demonstrated development and leadership of a research agenda, extending beyond serving as a contributor, resulting in the scholarly dissemination of work resulting in noteworthy impact on the Athletic Training profession.
*Members may not apply for Fellows status while serving on the NATA Board of Directors.
Application and Selection
Members meeting the requirements are invited to apply for consideration by downloading and completing the application form and submitting it, along with all required support materials.The application opens on August 1. All materials are due by October 1. The Fellows Committee will conduct a peer review of all complete application packets. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed. The evaluation focuses on the following areas:
- Quality of research reflected in the candidate's professional publications
- Significance of the candidate's educational contributions to undergraduate or graduate professional preparation
- Significance, quality and range of service to the athletic training profession
- Strength and enthusiasm of the candidate's supporters
The Fellows Committee will make recommendations for candidates to advance to Fellows status for approval by the NATA Board of Directors.
Nominations are open from August 1 through September 15 annually.
Please click on a year to view past Fellow Classes:
- Steven P. Broglio, PhD, ATC
- Riann Palmieri-Smith, PhD, ATC
- Stacy Walker, PhD, ATC
- Tracey Covassin, PhD, ATC
- Gianluca Del Rossi, PhD, ATC
- Joe Hart, PhD, ATC
- Tricia Hubbard-Turner, PhD, ATC, LAT
- Stephanie Mazerolle, PhD, ATC
- Randy Schmitz, PhD, ATC
- Ken Cameron, PhD, MPH, ATC
- Alison Valier, PhD, ATC
- Jennifer E. Earl-Boehm, PhD, ATC
- Scott E. Ross, PhD, ATC
- Mark Merrick, PhD, ATC
- John Powell, PhD, AT, ATC
- Bill Holcomb, PhD, ATC, LAT
- Carrie Docherty, PhD, LAT, ATC
- Phillip Gribble, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Rod A. Harter, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- MaryBeth Horodyski, EdD, ATC, LAT
- Michael G. Miller, PhD, EdD, ATC
- James Onate, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Kimberly Peer, EdD, ATC, FNATA
- Charles “Buz” Swanik, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Bonnie L. Van Lunen, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Mark Hoffman, PhD, ATC
- Tamara McLeod, PhD, ATC
- David Perrin, PhD, ATC
- Bryan Riemann, PhD, ATC
- Susan Saliba, PhD, ATC, PT
- Kent Scriber, EdD, ATC, PT
- Erik Swartz, PhD, ATC
- Craig Denegar, PhD, ATC, PT
- Tom Kaminski, PhD, ATC, FACSM
- Jeff Konin, PhD, ATC, PT
- William Pitney, EdD, ATC
- Eric Sauers, PhD, ATC
- David O. Draper, EdD, ATC, LAT
- Jon Ty Hopkins, PhD, ATC
- Michael R. Sitler, EdD, ATC
- Brent Arnold, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Gerald Bell, EdD, ATC, PT, FNATA
- Doug Casa, PhD, ATC, FACSM, FNATA
- Mitch Cordova, PhD, ATC, FACSM, FNATA
- Mike Ferrara, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Kevin Guskiewicz, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Jay Hertel, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Jenny Hootman, PhD, ATC, FACSM, FNATA
- Chris Ingersoll, PhD, ATC, VAT, FNATA
- Doug Kleiner, PhD, ATC, CSCS, FNATA
- Ken Knight, PhD, ATC, FACSM, FNATA
- Carl Mattacola, PhD, ATC, FNATA
- Bill Prentice, ATC, PT, FNATA
- Sandy Shultz, PhD, ATC, CSCS, FNATA
- Chad Starkey, PhD, ATC, LAT, FNATA
- Tim Uhl, PhD, ATC, PT, FNATA
- Tom Weidner, PhD, ATC, LAT, FNATA
- Gary Wilkerson, EdD, ATC, FNATA