State Leader Toolkit
NATA's public awareness campaign, At Your Own Risk, has developed a State and District Promotional Toolkit (pdf) that provides helpful information for advocacy and public relations at the state level. The toolkit includes marketing tips and case studies of successful athletic training public awareness campaigns conducted at the state level.
Development, training and preparation of future leaders are an important part of any association’s longevity. NATA offers an online leadership course, the Leadership Academy, to encourage association leaders to hone their skills. The academy will grow to include various courses that focus on practical business and leadership topics, from advocacy to negotiating to conflict management.
Third Party Reimbursement Matching Grant Program for States
NATA offers a Third Party Reimbursement Initiative Matching Grant Program for states seeking to professionalize advocacy and/or advance education and knowledge relative to third party reimbursement. Learn more by visiting Revenue/Reimbursement resources.
NATA formally recognizes leaders in the athletic training profession at the state level through the Emerging Leader award and the Excellence in Leadership Distinction. Both awards require recipients to be NATA members in good standing with current BOC certification and an NPI number with appropriate taxonomy code.
Excellence in Leadership
The Excellence in Leadership award is given to NATA members with 10 or more years of AT service or who have served one or more terms on a state board. These members should demonstrate:
- The ability to inspire and motivate others, especially to increase state involvement in any arena (legislative, PR, GA, etc),
- The highest level of service, integrity, professionalism, and competence,
- Leadership by example,
- Advocacy and dedication to the profession of athletic training at the state level, and
- The ability to motivate others to accomplish higher levels of commitment to state service.
Excellence in Leadership winners:
- John L. "Doc" Moyer, LAT, ATC
- Darryl T. Funai, MEd, ATC
- Andrew Llaguno, MSEd, ATC, CSCS
- Cynthia Clivio, ATC
- Jennifer Rheeling, MS, ATC
- William "Sully" Sullivan, MS, ATC
- Craig Bennett, ATC
- Craig Voll, ATC
The Emerging Leader Award is given to an NATA member, within their first 10 years of athletic training service, who:
- Innovates and inspires ideas,
- Demonstrates the highest level of service, integrity, professionalism and competence,
- Raises the visibility and influence of the profession,
- Actively shares responsibility and motivates others to accomplish higher levels of commitment to state service, and
- Collaborates with other entities and organizations for the betterment of the state association.
- 2018: Gina Biviano, MA, ATC
- 2017: Katie LaRue Martin, ATC
- 2016: Amy Brugge, ATC