The NATA Secondary School Athletic Trainers' Committee has established the Secondary School Athletic Trainer of the Year Award to recognize deserving athletic trainers in secondary schools across the country. Speifically this award recognizes ten district winners and one overall national winner who:
- Elevate the athletic training profession at the secondary school level.
- Provide public awareness, promotion and education about the AT’s role in their local communities.
- Contribute to their communities beyond their athletic environments.
- Help establish and maintain the athletic trainers’ presence in the secondary school setting.
- Provide an exemplary level of patient health care.
- NATA member in good standing.
- Current NPI number (with appropriate taxonomy code).
- Registered/licensed by state (if required).
- Current BOC certification.
- In fifth year of their career.
- Candidates must follow best practices, including the NATA Secondary School Statement on Proper Use of High School Athletic Training Student Aides.
Nominators must submit a letter (500-750 words) on the candidate’s contribution to furthering their secondary school’s athletic care program or the overall profession of athletic training at the secondary school level. The nominator letter should specifically address the candidate’s leadership qualities, advocacy, and service to the profession. Individuals cannot self-nominate. Nominations may be initiated by one of the following:
- School administrator (i.e. principal, vice principal, superintendent, athletic director)
- Athletic health care team member (i.e. athletic trainer, team-supervising physician, physician, physical therapist, school nurse, registered dietitian, strength and conditioning coach)
Upon nomination, the nominee will receive an email alerting him/her to the nomination and provide instructions to accept/decline the nomination and complete the application, including submission of three letters of recommendation and supporting evidence.
Due to the unprecedented circumstances that the COVID-19 pandemic has presented, the NATA Secondary School Athletic Trainer of the Year Award is not accepting applications at this time and will not be awarded at NATA 2021. Please revisit this page next year to nominate a deserving secondary school athletic trainer.
All district winners will be notified by December 15th each year to allow adequate time for travel arrangements to be made.
Secondary School Athletic Trainer of the Year Award District Winners (10) will receive:
- Award certificate to be presented at the finalist’s district meeting.
- District Winner Award piece and recognition at the annual NATA Clinical Symposia & AT Expo.
- Finalist banner to hang at workplace.
Secondary School Athletic Trainer of the Year Award National Winner (1) will receive.
- National Winner Award piece and recognition at the annual NATA Clinical Symposia & AT Expo.
- Winner banner to hang at school or worksite.