Frequently-Asked Questions

If I work overseas, am I eligible for professional insurance coverage?

There are global sports medicine organizations (see International Resources) who offer their own national members indemnity working in their country. Aside from where your degree is housed; kinesiology, exercise sciences, physical education, etc., if your athletic training credential is not recognized in that country, then this insurance offer cannot apply to you. Some associations outside the US also construct their membership ‘perks’ to include international assistance obtaining working visas and employment assistance. This isn’t possible either if your credential is not recognized by their government. Visa/work permit decisions are governmental mandates. It is misleading to state that they can ‘be of assistance’ to you to get a working visa.


How could I meet CEU requirements while living outside of the US?

Meeting CEU requirements can be difficult depending on your location, however most CEUs can be accumulated online at the quiz center of the NATA website (non-members may still purchase and use, but not at discounted member rates). CEUs can also be earned at international conferences that meet the domains of athletic training (see International Conferences). Acquiring current CPR/AED certifications can be a greater concern for some. We have had cases where individuals are not recognized in that specific country as a health professional, and thus, are not eligible to take CPR/AED certification courses.


How do I become eligible to work in the U.S. if I practice in another country?

Certified athletic trainers are allied health care providers who specialize in the prevention, assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses that occur to athletes and the physically active. To become a certified athletic trainer (ATC) one must graduate from a bachelors or masters degree program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) Universities that offer CAATE accredited programs can be found through the search, if you click on “Accredited Programs”. The candidate must then pass the certification examination conducted by the Board of Certification (BOC). For additional information on becoming a certified athletic trainer please view the document Athletic Training Education Overview. If you are a Certified Athletic Therapist in Canada and member of the CATA or a Certified Athletic and Rehabilitation Therapist in Ireland and a member of ARTI you may automatically qualify to take the BOC based upon the Mutual Recognition Agreement . Please visit the BOC website for more information.