This award honors an individual who is an up and coming athletic training educator who has demonstrated excellence in values towards education and teaching abilities. The recipient excels in delivering and promoting athletic training education through various means at the local and regional levels.
Individuals must meet the following requirements to be nominated for the award:
1. Current certified membership in the National Athletic Trainers’ Association
2. Recognition as a member of a teaching faculty in athletic training for a minimum of 3 years and no more than 10 years.
3. Minimum recognition of service at the state or regional level in professional organizations related to the field of athletic training in the past 5 years.
4. College/University work or service which can include but is not limited to:
serving as a preceptor
servings as program director and or clinical education coordinator
5. A minimum of 6 years of contributions to athletic training education beyond the classroom and individual institutions which can include but is not limited to:
CAATE site visitor and or reviewer
contributions to CAATE Standards and Guidelines development
contributions to NATA Educational Competencies development
contributions to BOC exam development
consultant for athletic training education programs
serving on state/regional/national education committees
member of NATA Executive Committee for Education
editor and or reviewer for the ATEJ
editor/reviewer for education textbooks and or other educational journals and materials
6. Evidence related to the scholarship of teaching and learning which can include but is not limited to:
creative works such as technology
7. Evidence of quality teaching. Evidence can include but is not limited to:
summative course evaluations
student engagement artifacts
peer observations of teaching
student awards (i.e, scholarships, university, professional organizations, etc)
The chair of the NATA Executive Committee for Education is not eligible for nomination.
1. The nomination can be made by any athletic trainer, student, administrator, or faculty member of a college/ university.
2. Each nominator in collaboration with the nominee is responsible for compiling a dossier supporting the nomination. The materials should include the items listed below:
- Three letters of support for the candidate’s nomination. (One letter can be from the nominator and one must be from current student(s)/alumni.) Other letters can be from administrators, committee chairs, colleagues, etc. Letters should address the criteria noted in the Candidate Criteria section of this document.
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae.
- A summary statement of the candidate’s contributions as they relate to the candidate’s impact on athletic training education (performed by nominee)
- Each candidate will be rated by the selection committee, based on a weighted scale using the candidate criteria noted in this document. Therefore, when compiling the dossier these criteria should be kept in mind. Where appropriate, each criterion is followed by examples to support the nominee.
- Artifacts of teaching are highly recommended (for example: peer observations, online course designs, summative course evaluations, trended data, teaching philosophy statement, etc)
*Each nominee will be judged on their overall impact on athletic training education including impact on students, structure and delivery of athletic training education and the impact the nominee has made on athletic training education field of study.
3. No more than two candidates will be selected in a calendar year.
4. Once nominated, the candidate's dossier will be kept on file for a two-year period and considered both years if not selected in the first year.
5. The award need not be given every year if no candidates are deemed qualified for the award.
6. All candidates are reviewed by members of the selection committee who are appointed by the Executive Committee for Education. The candidates will be judged on a rating scale relative to the criteria listed in the Candidate Criteria of this document.
7. The award will be formally presented at the subsequent NATA Athletic Training Educator’s Conference; informally at the Annual NATA National Symposium.
All recommendations, including all materials identified in Section II of the Application Guidelines above must be complete and submitted, by mail or email, to the Executive Committee for Education office no later than Feb. 17.
1620 Valwood Pkwy, Suite 115
Carrollton, TX 75006