The NATA Fellows program began in 2008 to recognize professional achievement in research and/or education, combined with service to the profession. Only the most accomplished scholars in the athletic training profession earn this distinction and are allowed to use the prestigious designation of “FNATA.”
By applying for and gaining Fellows status, NATA members pledge their continued commitment to the athletic training profession and the association.
Fellows candidates must meet the following requirements:
- NATA member in good standing
- 10 years BOC certification
- 10 years membership in NATA
- Have held a terminal degree (PhD, EdD, MD, DO or equivalent) for ten or more years
- Must have attended at least three of the five NATA annual meetings preceding application
*Members may not apply for Fellows status while serving on the NATA Board of Directors.
Application and Selection
Members meeting the requirements are invited to apply for consideration by downloading and completing the application form and submitting it, along with all required support materials.The application opens on August 1. All materials are due by October 1. The Fellows Committee will conduct a peer review of all complete application packets. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed. The evaluation focuses on the following areas:
- Quality of research reflected in the candidate's professional publications
- Significance of the candidate's educational contributions to undergraduate or graduate professional preparation
- Significance, quality and range of service to the athletic training profession
- Strength and enthusiasm of the candidate's supporters
The Fellows Committee will make recommendations for candidates to advance to Fellows status for approval by the NATA Board of Directors.