The following abstract is an example of a program that was awarded a Category 3 EDAC Diversity Enhancement Grant. All EDAC grant recipients submit abstracts at the conclusion of their projects.
On February 25, 2017, the Temple University Athletic Training Program hosted an in-person and online workshop for certified athletic trainers and athletic training students. The in-person segment allowed for students from different athletic training programs and athletic trainers from the Philadelphia area to meet and network. The virtual component allowed the inclusion of participants from across the country and for dynamic guest speakers from across the country (and Canada!) to lead sessions.
The following was a schedule of events for the day:
Schedule and Format
Live event, either in-person or online (via WebEx)
- 12:30 – 1:00 Registration and informal networking; light refreshments
- 1:00 – 1:15 Introductions
- 1:15 – 1:45 Leadership Styles: Kelly Pagnotta PhD, LAT, ATC
- 1:45 – 2:30 Mentorship: Kelly Pagnotta, PhD, LAT, ATC
- 2:30 – 3:00 EDAC Presentation: Dani Moffit PhD, LAT, ATC
- 3:00 – 3:45 Cultural Competency: Paul Murata MEd, LAT, ATC
- 4:00 – 4:45 Promoting Yourself and the Profession: Tina Benson MS, LAT, ATC
- 4:45 – 5:00 Closing Statements
Moderator: Jamie Mansell
The event was a success, as measured by the evaluations and feedback forms distributed to the attendees. Additionally, students in attendance were actively seeking mentors at the end of the session and were really excited that the opportunity existed to network with athletic trainers with similar cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
PI: Jamie Mansell, Anne Russ & Kelly Pagnotta
Title: Let’s Stay Together- A Mentorship Workshop (Grant # 05-1015)