DALLAS (Dec. 11, 2002) - Two Michigan certified athletic trainers (ATCs) have found remarkable results with MicroLight Corporation's new ML830(tm) low-level laser, which gained FDA approval earlier this year for treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Doug Johnson and Ray Maleyko of Sports & Industrial Rehab in Taylor, Mich. are two of the roughly 400 medical professionals in the United States certified to use the device. As ATCs and members of the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA), they received comprehensive instruction in using the ML 830. Johnson reports that he and Maleyko see encouraging results at Sports & Industrial Rehab. "One of our clients suffered serious carpal tunnel for 14 years as a result of cutting hair and working at Target," said Johnson. "After two treatments, she had full range of motion and was sleeping through the night again." "Certified athletic trainers are among the more qualified clinical practitioners to use our device," said Michael M. Barbour, MicroLight's president. "They're allied medical professionals who specialize in prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries, whether it's an industrial, ergonomic or sports injury. We plan to have even more ATCs gain certification in the coming year." Johnson become familiar with MicroLight's 830 laser after its clinical trials by General Motors in 1996, and after a later study at a prominent medical college in Houston. "General Motors spent $2 billion on carpal tunnel syndrome over 10 years, between lost production, re-education of employees, medical costs and employee replacements," said Johnson. "GM found it to be 70 to 80 percent effective - nearly 80 percent of the people in the study went back to work, while the other 20 percent experienced some improvement." He added, "GM considered full resolution to be total elimination of pain and limitations, and 80 percent of the people achieved that. They didn't just test a small group - they tested all GM employees at Flint Michigan with carpal tunnel syndrome." To learn more about the ML 830, visit www.microlightcorp.com. Certified athletic trainers (ATCs) are medical professionals who specialize in the prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses that occur to athletes and the physically active. The National Athletic Trainers' Association represents and supports the more than 30,000 members of the athletic training profession through education and research. www.nata.org.