Professional Development Committee Workshop Maximizing Injury Rehabilitation Motivation
Professional Development Committee Workshop
Maximizing Injury Rehabilitation Motivation
Held in conjunction with the District 5 Meeting
Thursday, March 27th 2014 – Sheraton Hotel – 12:30pm-5:00pm
West Des Moines, Iowa
Laura Kenow, MS, ATC and Windee M. Weiss, Ph.D., ATC
This workshop is designed to help athletic trainers facilitate and enhance the motivation of their athletes/patients during the rehabilitation process. Two different theoretical frameworks (Self-Determination Theory; Sport Commitment Model) will be discussed and how these concepts apply to rehabilitation motivation. Through group activities, discussion of motivational theories and strategies, and hands-on “practice” participants will gain understanding about what drives motivation (and amotivation) as well as learn key intervention strategies that can be used with any clientele.
12:30pm – 12:40pm Introductions
12:40pm – 1:30pm Understanding How Athletes Respond to Injury
1:30pm – 2:00pm Self-Determination & Returning to Play
2:00pm – 2:15pm Break
2:15pm – 3:00pm Application of SDT to Motivation in Rehabilitation
3:00pm – 3:30pm Sport Commitment Model & Rehabilitation
3:30pm – 3:45pm Break
3:45pm – 4:30pm Application of SCM to Rehabilitation
4:30pm – 4:45pm Questions & Answers
4:45pm – 5:00pm Self-reflection and Future Application
- Participants will be able to describe the cognitive appraisal process in relation to emotional reactions to injury and how that reaction relates to motivation.
- Participants will be able to describe two different theoretical frameworks: Self-Determination Theory and the Sport Commitment Model.
- Participants will be able to translate theory into practice by applying theoretical concepts to the rehabilitation setting.
- Participants will be able to create a psychological intervention plan for rehabilitation
- Clinical Evaluation and Diagnosis
- Treatment and Rehabilitation
- Organization and Professional Health & Well-Being
Credits Earned – 4.0
All refund requests must be submitted in writing to NATA or firstname.lastname@example.org. Full refunds will be given if a written request is received by March 1, 2014. Written requests received after March 1 but prior to March 17, 2014 will receive a 50% refund. We regret that requests received after March 17 cannot be honored. Refunds will be processed after the workshop and cannot be done on-site. Failure to have 25 registrants by March 17 will result in the cancellation of the workshop and all participants will receive a refund.
Early Bird Registration before March 1st - $40
Registration after March 1st - $60
*For more information contact Sidney Fuller (email@example.com) 972-532-8835*